Still poking at GPNL a bit, and I’m getting there. I’m almost to the point where I can rip out the old code and use it as a drop-in replacement for the packages site as well. Just one more thing to do — import package masks. That’s a bit tricky, because I have to write one more native function to do what a third party tool is doing — compare ebuild revisions. That’s actually not so hard, now that I found a way to get them to order properly.
I also moved the site to a new server. I signed up for a Linode, so we’ll see how that handles. Personally, I’m not completely convinced that they are up to the task of running a Gentoo install. It’s been my experience that there’s always a certain latency, as in they always run with the most minimum amount of resources possible until something wakes it up. There’s a good lag while it’s waking up, though. For instance, I’ll ssh in and it’ll take about 8 seconds to even respond. Then I’ll edit a file in vim and it takes a few less seconds to save, and after about a minute or so of use, everything is alert and awake. Kind of annoying, but I guess I can live with it.
One thing I’ll do anyway to reduce load on the server is cache the packages website. Since it’s refreshed every hour, there’s no need to regenerate all the pages anyway. Every time I mess with it on the old codebase it screws something up, though, and I’m so close to replacing it that I’m not going to bother with it for now.